It’s one of those periods in my life. You know, the ones where everything just seems too much. Drive my business forward. Be social. Write my blog. Cook nice dinners. Reach out to people I care about. Yes, all of it pretty much seems like too much these days. I have to admit that I have a lot going on. A business to run. A house that is on the market. An upcoming move to plan. Excruciating pain most days as I await surgery. I know a nice relaxing vacation would go a long way toward fixing most of this, but it’s just not the right time to do that.
So, here I am. Struggling to find the energy each day to keep moving forward. It’s not easy, but I do have a few things that work for me. I know you have these days too, so thought I’d share them here.
- I keep my eye on the prize. Yes, I know I want to sell my current home to buy my next one. Rather than focus on the effort to sell, I focus on the fun it will be to buy and set up a new home.
- Living in bad knee is, well a pain. It’s with me all the time. It limits what I can do physically. For someone who is active and enjoys working out, waiting for a surgery to repair things feels like forever. Again, I’m choosing to focus on how wonderful it will be to have my knee restored. And how grateful I’ll be once that pain is gone and I know I don’t have to live with it. And, even more importantly, the knowledge that my affliction is easily cured and I can move on with my life. Compared to friends going through cancer treatment or worse, I count my blessings.
- I remember that life is for living. As a friend reminded me today, focus on the fact that you are alive, breathing and able to make choices!
- Even though most days, I’d like to just stay at home and read, I remember how much I love my work, the people I get to help and seeing them find new careers or new jobs. Yes! My work is important and helps people. Just two days ago, I learned that one client had landed a great new job, while another had secured a fascinating new position within their company! THAT is worth getting up and out of bed for!
- We all have a choice each morning when we wake up. We can CHOOSE to be happy and have a positive outlook. We can CHOOSE to keep moving forward, even when we don’t really have the energy to.
- And finally. If life permits. Take a nap! Nothing restores me more than a quick cat nap in the middle of the afternoon. Find what works for you and keep moving forward.
And BAM! Just like that, I have overcome my struggle. I’ve gotten through a day of client meetings, I’ve written my blog and I’m off to take that cap nap as a reward!
Read more career blogs at http://www.colecoach.com/blog