It’s been some time since I visited my blog. Just another indication of how busy this year has been. Busy yes, and truly wonderful. It’s been a year of transitions, challenges, and, of course, lessons learned. As most of us do this time of year, I have been reflecting on what this year has meant to my life. Thought I’d share some of the lessons I learned with you.
- DON’T BE AFRAID OF CHANGE. This could well be the theme of my life. While there is definitely change I don’t like, for the most part, I embrace it. Growing is change. Learning is change. So, in that context, change is not only good, but necessary. I chose to make several changes throughout the year; calculated ones at that. When I knew it was time to move on from one contract position to another, I leapt at the opportunity knowing growth and learning would result. Recently, recognizing I’d maxed out all there was from the most recent contract position and that I had to move on and go ‘all in’ with my coaching and consulting business, I made the choice to leave and pursue my business with everything I have.
- TRUST YOURSELF. We all have self-doubt. In my youth, that doubt was crippling, limiting my growth and squashing my potential. Whether it comes from age, maturity or experience, my self-doubt is now well under control. I’ve learned to trust myself and the choices I make. That little voice of self-doubt is now my friend, tempering my enthusiasm and keeping me in check. I’ve learned to slow down, let my mind be clear and listen to the opportunities that present themselves. When I follow these openings and listen to my gut, I’m well guided and always end up in a better place. I’ve learned to trust myself. The worst that can happen is I don’t succeed and follow a different path, having accumulated some new and valuable learning.
- GET OFF SOCIAL MEDIA ONCE IN A WHILE. I’m sure this one seems strange for someone as plugged in as I am. I LOVE social media and all it has to offer. But, there is still a time to step away, to simply be and look up from the keyboard. I’ve committed to media-free weekends for the month of January. It seems I’ve been glued to my laptop and phone for the entire year. I want to recapture what it’s like to just sit and watch a sunset, or a sunrise. Remember the joy of sitting at my quilting table, creating a piece of art and letting my mind wander. It’s amazing how creative my mind is when I’m away from the computer screen.
- DON’T WASTE TIME ON NEGATIVE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE. This can be a tough one. Throughout my life, I’ve had people in it who simply weren’t healthy for me. They brought out the worst in me, or drained me of all my energy, or otherwise were simply negative and detrimental to my well-being. Long ago, I started shedding these people from my life; delicately and kindly. I find I am in a much better place by surrounding myself with positive people who see the world as opportunities the way I do. It’s made a world of difference in every aspect of my life. Some splits were painful and regretful, but the outcome is better than the impact I was living with.
- FINALLY, FOLLOW YOUR PASSION! This is my favorite one and it’s become a focal point for my work. By learning to live my true, authentic life, I’ve developed a passion for helping others achieve the same. Too many people accept the status quo or stay in a job long past the time they realized another dream existed. I am now driven to help them see a way out; a way to follow that dream and live every day in their dream. It IS possible. I’m living proof.
So, that’s it. My list of lessons from 2015. 2016 is full of promise. I have several projects I’m working on for my business and I can’t wait to see how they turn out. I’d love to hear from you. What was your #1 lesson from this year? Do share. Happy New Year everyone!